[ntp:questions] Re: Slew mode check for XNTP

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jul 27 02:56:25 UTC 2006

Sasikumar Jayaraman wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
> Let me answer your question "Why I need slewalways?"
>
> Well, customer is asking for slew mode operation and also slew mode is
> good for system which runs database I learnt. So when XNTP has option of
> slewing the clock, "why not test it?" out per customer.

First, the name is ntpd and not xntp. There was an xntp for version 3
but not for version 4. Second, if you start ntpd at boot time with the
-g option you don't need to use the slewalways option since it will be
synchronized before the database is ready for use.

> I know W32Time slew works well. But I prefer XNTP also XNTP has many
> merits too.
>
> As you said, my last option is to download 4.2.2 and check it out with
> ntpd -x -g -q option instead of ntpdate.

If you start ntpd at startup the -g should be sufficient along with the
iburst to give you good time in seconds as long as the remote servers
are reachable.

> But I have tough time in finding Windows binaries for XNTP 4.2.2

Just go to Meinberg for a good set of releases. I don't think it's 4.2.2
yet, but that doesn't matter in this case, it's recent enough and there
are a few additional features that are not yet in the base code (My fault).

> Let me dig on internet for somemore time.
>
> Appreciate if anyone could help me on Windows binary for XNTP 4.2.2

I generally don't release the binaries I build since they normally are
development builds and I have more work to do on the installer.

Danny