[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdc 'sysinfo' output inconsistent with ntpq-p output

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Fri Jul 28 18:45:59 UTC 2006

Harlan,

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> There is no maintainer for ntptrace, so bugs get fixed there when somebody
> feels like working on it.

This is worring: you do not seem to have caught on to the fact that this
issue is caused by ntpq -n -c rv being inconsistent with ntpq -p.

Let me say that again: ntpq is inconsistent with ntpq.

The ntptrace issue is just a symptom.

I suspect that this is another form of the problem mentioned in the
subject of this thread.

> The "default" maintainer is me, and I have over 100 bugs in my queue.
> I work on the bugs that are blocking the "upcoming" release when I am not
> working on release issues.  And I'm still a volunteer and do this work in my
> spare time.

Thank you (x1000). Really!

But this is also worrying: from what you say the ntpd project is in a
constant state of fire-fighting. Releases are driven by a lack of
blocking issues, rather than by a vision of what new or improved
functionality is needed that outweighs the risks of deployment.

I would call upon the ICT industry to lend a hand, since time
synchronisation is, frankly, too important to the industry to be left to
  volunteers who are very understandably forced to compromise.

My employer is a bit busy merging right now, or I'd try and get some
support going. Has anyone tried talking to industry federations?

Cheers, Jan