[ntp:questions] Embedded targets

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jun 2 17:35:21 UTC 2006

Don Becker wrote:
> (1) Can someone direct me to ports of ntp to a micro-kernel os (uCos,
> ThreadX, RTXC, etc)?

It has been ported to VXWorks, but I couldn't tell you whether it still
builds on that platform.

> (2) Has anyone implemented kernel clock discipline for a micro-kernel os
> (uCos, ThreadX, RTXC, etc)?
>
> (3) Any thoughts of having the client consume broadcast ntp messages in
> additoon to the periodic polls?  This would allow the client to benefit from
> frequent low bandwidth broadcast messages but still be able to periodically
> characterize the round trip delays to the server.  Frequent broadcasts (~ 1
> minute) with infrequent polls (1-2 hours) would work well in my stable,
> standalone network application.

It works quite well. We have that kind of thing running on the various
nodes at UDel, but you should not assume that it will be able to use the
delay information provided by the queries for broadcast since those are
different sockets and interfaces and shouldn't be used since that would
be an unwarrented assumption especially as you could be receiving
packets from nodes that you are not querying.

Danny