[ntp:questions] Horrible clock drift help

Jeremy Parrish jeremyp at msn.econoprint.com
Fri Jun 16 21:11:43 UTC 2006

Greetings,

We just bought 7 new servers from SuperMicro, and they all have the same
problem. They all gain about 1 second every 10 seconds or so (10% too
fast). I have tried various versions of Linux kernels (in particular,
2.4.27, 2.6.15, 2.6.15-smp, 2.6.16.20...) with all kinds of kernel
options (noapic, acpi=off, clock=tsc, the list goes on...). There is no
noticeable difference between any of those.

The servers use the Intel E7230 chipset and have Pentium D 805
processors. Ntpd does not seem to correct the clock at all (I've let it
run for more than a day). I've tried installing adjtimex, and it adjusts
the rate of the clock by about -3000 seconds per day, but I would
something more accurate.

Is there a way I can make ntpd play nice with such a horrible drift?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy