[ntp:questions] Re: Is there a way to extract long./ lat. and alt. from the log files, when using Oncore GPS?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 22 13:59:33 UTC 2006

Mario Behn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the Motorola Oncore GPS can be set into Position Hold mode,
> and then I believe I can do a 3d site survey, which take 10000s or so.
>
> However, does it store the longitude, latitude and the altitude somewhere?
> If yes where?
>
> Thanks for any hint.
>
> Mario Behn

It writes the latitude, longitude, and height to a log file if you have
one.  Put the line:
logfile /var/ntp/ntp.log
in your ntp.conf.

Create the directory /var/ntp if it does not already exist.  Set the
file permissions and ownership appropriately so that ntpd can write the
file and you can read it.

Then restart ntpd in mode 2 or mode 4.  That will do a site survey and
log the results.