[ntp:questions] Re: Architecture / best practice for small/medium company setups

Darren Dunham ddunham at redwood.taos.com
Fri Jun 30 02:32:58 UTC 2006

Brian Utterback <brian.utterback at sun.removeme.com> wrote:
> This isn't true. They will listen to it, all the time. And some will
> sync with it.  Consider: The local clock settings are utterly irrelevant
> in the scenario proposed. The local clock will not be used until the
> dispersion of the regular servers becomes too large. This typically
> takes 24 hours.

I don't understand where the 24 hours comes from.  Even with excellent
sync and a server that has backed off to a 1024 second poll interval, it
takes about half an hour for my machine to deselect my internet servers
and either become unavailable to other clients or fall back to local
when the link is down.

Admittedly, allowing all the other ntp clients to simply free run for a
few hours would probably just fine on that timescale so a local clock
might not be necessary.  But it should be the selected time source much
sooner than 24 hours.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com