[ntp:questions] Re: TDF receiver?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at uk.me.buzzard
Wed Mar 1 20:24:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:52:38 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:

> mike wrote:
> []
>> This came up in this group some time back:
>>
>>  A French company Bodet does an IC receiver to decode this signal:
>> http://www.bodet.fr/urlref/01a8cata/urlext/asp/produit/prod/439/rub/6/produit.htm
>>
>> I have mailed a French supplier for unit costs and I'll let you know
>> if they reply.
>> It will required getting the soldering iron out, but I have done DCF
>> and GPS that way so if it's not too expensive I might give it a go
>> myself. Their site gives other europeen suppliers.
>

> Another low-cost radio clock is described here:
>
>   http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html

Except mine does not do TDF. However it should be possible to construct a
circuit that drives the serial port in the same fashion as the MSF/DCF77
etc. receivers and the program would just detect it as DCF77 and decode
the time. Whether it could be powered by the serial port is a different
question however.

That said anyone who can pick up TDF can also pick up MSF, DCF77 and HBG,
as well as GPS. At which point the use of a fifth time signal does seem to
be a bit superfluous.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195