[ntp:questions] Re: NTP 4.2.1-RC1 is available for testing

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 3 00:43:05 UTC 2006

>>> In article <f48jd3-d0u.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de>, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> writes:

H> The snapshots/ subdir always gets a date-stamped filename.

H> I'm happy to discuss how we can improve the situation, and I'm not going
H> to hold up the 4.2.1 release cycle because of the snapshot filename.

Martin> I'm afraid you totally misunderstood me. I really, really don't want
Martin> to hold up the release.

I didn't misunderstand you, I wanted to make it clear to everybody that this
issue is not going to delay 4.2.1.

Martin> I just thought it would be better if the same file was available
Martin> from different places with the same name. In this case I would
Martin> prefer if both file names had the time stamp.

In this case they will not have a timestamp - if another release candidate
is made then it will be RC2.

Martin> Imagine different people who download either of the files. If they
Martin> want to compare and discuss the results they first have to find out
Martin> whether both files have the same contents, or whether they just
Martin> accidentally have similar names but contents from different patch
Martin> levels.

I understand, and I am happy to remove the RC1 stuff from the snapshot
directory.

If, for some reason, we have patch releases to RC1 then *they* would appear
in the snapshot directory and have a timestamp.

Steve, do you have any thoughts about this, as it will affect the download
page?