[ntp:questions] Re: Can sychronize with a slightyly different NTP versios

DavidO davidproc at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 3 23:01:17 UTC 2006

Thanks all for your suggestions:

I did try different stratums for the server 10, 12, 2, 3, 5 and still
did not get the other units to sunc with it.
Since it was really needed for our units to synchronized with each
other, I downloaded the latest stable version from the web (4.2) I
cross compiled for our power-pc units and now I do not have that
problem anymore. So, I guess...  PROBLEM SOLVED.

There is a problem in all the versions of NTP that I have seen.
Whenever a unit boots up and queries time from a server, the unit can
be sync in 11-15 seconds depending on the configuration, but if the
unit starts serving its own time, the unit takes between 1 to three
minutes to get in sync with itself. Basically, the main reason for that
is that I can not use the ntpdate command to my own local address (ex:
"ntpdate 127.127.1.0" and "ntpdate localhost" are not possbile), BUT
the unit is serving time to itself, the unit should come up already in
sync since it is  querying time from its OWN clock. Probably that I
have the source code and I can compiles I can tweak that way.

David Olave
Design Engineer