[ntp:questions] Re: Can sychronize with a slightyly different NTP versios

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 4 00:21:03 UTC 2006

David Woolley wrote:

> In article <8oudnUzhLp1PNJXZRVn-iw at comcast.com>,
> Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>>server 127.127.1.0  burst iburst
>

>>Try:
>>server 127.127.1.0              # Local clock, unit 0
>>fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

<snip>

>>It would probably be a lot easier and consume far fewer resources to use
>>  rdate in a cron job.
>

> That depends on what level of phase and freqeuncy error are tolerable.

With an unsynchronized local clock as a server, how much could he care
about phase and/or frequency error?  Ntpd can hold a client in really
tight synchronization (100 usec or better) IF (big IF) it has a stable
reference; e.g. a server synchronized to a GPS reference can synchronize
clients within a few microseconds.  I've never had reason to try to
synchronize to an unsynchronized local clock but I would not expect
frequency or phase error levels to brag about.