[ntp:questions] Re: NTP 4.2.1-RC1 is available for testing

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sat Mar 4 22:35:29 UTC 2006

Steve> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
>> I understand, and I am happy to remove the RC1 stuff from the snapshot
>> directory.

Steve> Why the RC* tarballs are located anywhere _but_ the snapshot tree?

Because they are release candidates and not snapshots, and I currently treat
them more like releases than like snapshots.

I'm not meaning to be snarky here.

It's mostly because of history - the snapshot dir is a "new thing" and in
the past all releases (and release candidates) were done in the release
tree.

Steve> If it's a matter of accessibility, why not just create a symlink to
Steve> the file in the snapshot tree using the same (i.e. time-stamped)
Steve> filename.

>> If, for some reason, we have patch releases to RC1 then *they* would
>> appear in the snapshot directory and have a timestamp.

Steve> Doesn't the designation of 'Release Candidate' merely mean that this
Steve> development snapshot is considered to be "good enough to release"?

That's the hope, and it's a Candidate because we're looking for more
significant testing and scrutiny to be sure it is "up to snuff" as a full
release.