[ntp:questions] Re: Changing the Daylight saving time start end end dates

Moe Trin ibuprofin at painkiller.example.tld
Sun Mar 5 01:56:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.time.ntp, in article
<4408BBA8.D0DECC63 at alum.mit.edu>, Jed Clear wrote:
>kavsha wrote:

>> If i use the timezone.exe utility to change the start and end date of
>> the daylight saving time configuration (because in my country those
>> dates changes every year), Do i need to restart the  server/desktop
>> or to open again the "time zone" tab in the "Date and Time properties"
>> window in order that the new values will be loaded ?

He's posting from fw-out.elbit.co.il.ser.netvision.net.il using windoze,
but the latest tzdata file from ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2006b.tar.gz
has Israeli timezone data out to September 2037. The data was actually
available in one of the tzdata2005? tarballs - sometime in March of last
year as I recall. He's talking about "timezone.exe" which is some piece of
windoze executable. I have no idea if gates&company is bothering to keep
windoze up to date relating to timezone changes.

>And since the mechanics of time zones varies subtly for the different
>flavors of UNIX, BSD and Linux, you really are better off asking in a
>newsgroup specific to your OS.

Trust me - he did. Multiple times in the groups that I follow.

Depending on what specific operating system he's using, if the vendor is
still supporting it, the /usr/share/zoneinfo/* (or equivalent) file updates
should be available. As long as his system is configured to the correct
time zone (tzdata2006b says "Zion" or "Asia/Jerusalem", but it's just plain
old "Israel" here) things are good beyond the end of 32 bit time_t.

        Old guy