[ntp:questions] NTP on laptop?

Dave Vandervies dj3vande at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 7 22:39:16 UTC 2006

How friendly is ntpd to typical laptop network connection habits?

If I just leave ntpd running with a ntp.conf that points it at network
servers along with the local clock, will it talk to the servers when
they're reachable and run off of the local clock when they aren't?

If it won't notice on its own when network connection status changes,
will it be enough to swap different versions of ntp.conf in and out in
my network connection up/down scripts (and let the daemon notice that
it's changed), or will I need to restart ntpd as well for the changes
to take effect?

dave

Dave Vandervies                    dj3vande at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mostly, I plead lack of time.  If I had more time I could write
shorter postings...
                                   --Chris Torek in comp.lang.c