[ntp:questions] Re: NTP on laptop?

Dave Vandervies dj3vande at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 8 04:23:28 UTC 2006

In article <440E157B.5090405 at cloudview.com>,
John Pettitt  <jpp at cloudview.com> wrote:

>If the net comes back with the same address you don't need to restart -
>if it comes back with a
>different address you do.

Coming back with the same address is unlikely, and even having the
same network interface come back up is probably not much better than
random chance.

So if I start ntpd on boot (with no network interface up), and restart
it every time I bring up a network connection, it will handle starting
with just the local clock and losing network connections sensibly without
having to make changes to ntp.conf?

Also, by email you mentioned CPU frequency changes for power management.
That could be a problem, since I have it configured to scale the CPU
speed based on the load (with the Linux 2.6 cpufreq driver).  Is there
a way to work around this without disabling the scaling entirely?
(Or is cpufreq handled differently enough to not be considered a
"low-power mode"?)

Thanks

dave

Dave Vandervies                        dj3vande at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
> Is your life organized by the signs of the Zodiac?
"PULL HANDLE TO INFLATE" and "NO SHARP OBJECTS"?  Words to live by.
           --Kevin and Berry Kercheval in the scary devil monastery