[ntp:questions] peering question

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Wed Mar 8 19:13:20 UTC 2006

While I wait for my 4.2.1-RC1 test box to go haywire, I have a
question regarding peered servers.

I have 4 ntp servers that peer with each other.  Two in one site, two
in another.  I have a selection of geographically and ip wise nearby
servers that they all query.  I then have an additional subset spread
across the 4 servers, such that each remote server is only conf'd on
one of my units.

If my understanding of peering is correct, each clock sees the other's
data for the server's it's tracking.  So, in theory I could get
identical time quality by just having any given remote server on only
one peer?  Or should I continue having duplication across my peers of
remote servers?

Joshua Coombs