[ntp:questions] Re: 4.2.1-RC1 on FreeBSD 4.11 doesn't seem to discipline the local clock

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Thu Mar 9 15:33:58 UTC 2006

"Harlan Stenn" <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:ywn9wtf4nk8n.fsf at ntp1.isc.org...
> The output you sent us seems to have been from a "fresh" start of
> ntpd, as
> the "reach" was never more than 3.
>
> Why do you think your locak clock was not being disciplined?

Correct, I had reverted to 4.1.0a when I first noticed the huge
offsets.  Letting 4.2.1-RC1 run yesterday it appears that it is in
fact discipline the clock, but can't seem to settle to stable
operation.  The clock would begin to run off in one direction, ntpd
would lower the poll intervals, over do the correction value, then
raise the poll intervals while the clock came back to 0 offset.  The
pattern would repeat as it swung past in the other direction.  Running
4.1.0a, ntpd very quickly reigns in the offset, and then stays within
10ms of true time without the drama and poll interval ramps of
4.2.1-RC1.

The huge swing initially is what made me fear it wasn't discipling the
clock, letting it run longer shows that it is, but for some reason
can't find a happy stable state.

I'm setup to collect loopstats now, and because I have 3 other clocks
that are stable I can use this machine as a guinea pig for a bit, how
should I proceed to diagnose this?

Joshua Coombs