[ntp:questions] Re: 4.2.1-RC1 on FreeBSD 4.11 doesn't seem to discipline the local clock

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Thu Mar 9 19:15:43 UTC 2006

>>> In article <Te6dnVKtBtZ7143ZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d at gwi.net>, "Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs at gwi.net> writes:

Joshua> Letting 4.2.1-RC1 run yesterday it appears that it is in
Joshua> fact discipline the clock, but can't seem to settle to stable
Joshua> operation.  The clock would begin to run off in one direction, ntpd
Joshua> would lower the poll intervals, over do the correction value, then
Joshua> raise the poll intervals while the clock came back to 0 offset.  The
Joshua> pattern would repeat as it swung past in the other direction.
Joshua> Running 4.1.0a, ntpd very quickly reigns in the offset, and then
Joshua> stays within 10ms of true time without the drama and poll interval
Joshua> ramps of 4.2.1-RC1.

Joshua> The huge swing initially is what made me fear it wasn't discipling
Joshua> the clock, letting it run longer shows that it is, but for some
Joshua> reason can't find a happy stable state.

Joshua> I'm setup to collect loopstats now, and because I have 3 other
Joshua> clocks that are stable I can use this machine as a guinea pig for a
Joshua> bit, how should I proceed to diagnose this?

This is an area where I have done very little, so I don't know.

I do know that http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/TroubleshootingNTP would
be a very good place to discuss this.