[ntp:questions] Re: why does my unauthenticated peer still sync?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 10 02:16:41 UTC 2006

Mlaw,

Unfortunately I don't have time to dig in to this for you.

I'm hoping somebody else can say.

The source code is, of course, the source code.  Additionally, there are the
documents on the website and the draft NTP4 spec.  It would be Swell if
somebody made sure that the specs/documents/code were in agreement on this
point.  I will not have time to even consider doing this for several months'
time.

mlawdawg> I noticed that the diff in this code between 4.2.0 and
mlawdawg> ntp-dev-4.2.0b-rc1-20060306.tar.gz is that 4.2.0 calls fast_xmit()
mlawdawg> using MODE_PASSIVE while ntp-dev-4.2.0b-rc1-20060306.tar.gz calls
mlawdawg> fast_xmit() using MODE_ACTIVE.

mlawdawg> Does this mode difference cause Host B to react differently?
mlawdawg> Ie. will Host B no longer "sync" with Host A.

mlawdawg> In either case, Host A never mobilizes a symmetric passive
mlawdawg> association for Host B.

mlawdawg> Tx, mlaw