[ntp:questions] Re: synchronization

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 10 04:23:58 UTC 2006

On 2006-03-09, Ron Croonenberg <ronc at depauw.edu> wrote:

>   9 Mar 09:06:21 ntpd[2431]: time reset 1.734569 s
>   9 Mar 09:30:03 ntpd[2431]: time reset 1.740734 s
>
> So I either have a problem in the  server and client config files or I
> am facing another problem ?

Frequent time steps are a sign that your clock drift exceeds that rate
that ntpd is able to control (the max is 500PPM / day).

This could be a hardware problem, an OS problem, or both.

If the observed drift, indicated by the frequent corrections (i.e.
"time resets"), is monotonic, you may be able to solve this problem by
adjusting your tick value. One method of making this adjustment is
documented at
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/KnownHardwareIssues#Section_9.1.6.