[ntp:questions] Re: synchronization

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Fri Mar 10 17:37:12 UTC 2006

On 2006-03-10, Ron Croonenberg <ronc at depauw.edu> wrote:

>Steve Kostecke said:
>
>> The frequent time steps show in the log extract included in Ron's
>> original article suggest that his clock drift rate exceeds ntpd's
>> correction limits. This is the problem that must be solved first.
>
> Ok, first things first then. How do I fix that ?

If the time steps are regular in occurrence, of similar magnitude,
and are monotonic (i.e. always in the same direction) you may be able
to adjust your tick value. One method for making this adjustment is
documented at
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/KnownHardwareIssues#Section_9.1.6.

Please see a previous article in this thread,
T1141978027 at djwhome.demon.co.uk, for other things you should consider.