[ntp:questions] Re: maxpoll >=14 causes other clients to reject server

Stephen M. Dunn stephen at stevedunn.ca
Sun Mar 12 21:52:00 UTC 2006

In article <441430F7.4040109 at sktc.net> wowbagger at sktc.net (David D. Hagood) writes:
$However, if I set maxpoll to 14 or more, then my computers on the inside
$will occasionally reject the firewall server as not being synced because
$it has not synced recently enough.

   David Mills (a.k.a. he who is ntp) has stated that a high maxpoll
value is not a good idea.  See http://www.pool.ntp.org/older_news.html
for more details.

   I use 12 on my home PC.  It keeps good enough time that way, and
nothing else syncs from that machine so I don't really care if it
sometimes drifts tens of milliseconds farther from the One True
Time than it might if I used 10.

   But for any server which has clients, I use the default of 10.
That's what ntpd was designed to use, and since 10 gives a polling
rate of less than four times an hour, you needn't worry about
being a bad netizen for using it.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                             <stephen at stevedunn.ca>