[ntp:questions] Laptop

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Mon Mar 13 01:50:40 UTC 2006

Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:
> ntpd seems to require a constant internet connection (although as far
> as  I can see this is never explicitly stated).
>
> But what about a computer, which is only occasionally (on average once a
> day) connected to the internet, and for a few minutes (5 minutes on
> average)?

ntpd was designed at a time that Internet access was unreliable and you
would be dialing the NIST number in Colorado, US, to get an accurate
time source. So yes, this is actually normal.

> Can ntpd be used in this case?

Yes.

> If yes, what paramters have to be set in ntp.conf?

Set up your server with iburst options and don't use any restrict lines.
in the startup line add -g which will allow it to reset you clock even
if the clock is way off.

> If no, are there any programs available to handle this?

ntpd works fine. Just restart ntpd every time you connect as the IP
address of your local system will change and ntpd does not yet handle
dynamic address changes on the local machine.

> In case it is relevant, here some more details:
>
> iBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.5
>
> ntpd -f /var/run/ntp.drift -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
>
> /etc/ntp.conf = "server time.asia.apple.com minpoll 12 maxpoll 17"
> (Created automatically by Date & Time Preferences)
>
> /var/run/ntp.drift = "0.00"
>
>> ntpq
> ntpq> version
> ntpq 4.1.1 at 1.786 Sun Mar 20 15:41:22 PST 2005 (1)
>
>  8 Mar 08:58:14 ntpdate[1591]: step time server 17.82.254.7 offset
> -3.921606 sec
> Mar  8 12:33:12 Quitte ntpd[342]: sendto(17.83.254.7): Can't assign
> requested address

That just indicates that the local IP address changed. This will be
fixed in the next release as soon as 4.2.1 is released.

Danny