[ntp:questions] Re: Das Buch on Amazon

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 16 03:12:00 UTC 2006

Jed Clear wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
>
>>Ulrich Windl wrote:
>>
>>>Personally I think for 99$ it's quite expensive (unless quite good) ;-)
<snip>
>>I think you're right about the price.
<snip>

> I think you misclassified it.  If I extrapolate from what I recall paying for
> college course books a few decades ago[1], it seems quite reasonable for an
> academic text book.
>
> [Pokes around Amazon] Yup, my old freshman calculus text, is going for $149,
> new.
>
> -Jed
>
> [1] Was it really that long ago...?

It's been so long I no longer remember what I paid for my college texts!

I was comparing with the prices of some of the computer related books
I've purchased: "sed and awk" Second Edition by Dale Dougherty & Arnold
Robbins, O'Reilly & Associates 406 pages, soft cover $34.95 or "Learning
the Korn Shell" by Bill Rosenblatt, O'Reilly & Associates 336 pages $29.95.

Well, college students have no choice!  If they want the course they
must have a copy of the text book.  I, OTOH, have a choice and the price
  doesn't fit my budget!  I would have paid $35 or $40 to see what he
had to say.