[ntp:questions] Re: Das Buch on Amazon

Jed Clear clear at alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 19 11:46:38 UTC 2006

"Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
> Jed Clear wrote:
> <snip>
> >>I think you're right about the price.
> <snip>
> > I think you misclassified it.  If I extrapolate from what I recall paying for
> > college course books a few decades ago[1], it seems quite reasonable for an
> > academic text book.
> >
> > [Pokes around Amazon] Yup, my old freshman calculus text, is going for $149,
> > new.
> >
> > [1] Was it really that long ago...?
>
> It's been so long I no longer remember what I paid for my college texts!

We won't go into the fact that I had Prof. Thomas autograph my copy, so still
have it to look at the price ($26).  I'd probably have to updated my Geek Code
if I mentioned that. ^U

> I was comparing with the prices of some of the computer related books
> I've purchased: "sed and awk" Second Edition by Dale Dougherty & Arnold
> Robbins, O'Reilly & Associates 406 pages, soft cover $34.95 or "Learning
> the Korn Shell" by Bill Rosenblatt, O'Reilly & Associates 336 pages $29.95.

And you just hit on another reason.  Both of those are soft cover.  Hardcovers
always cost more than paperbacks.

> Well, college students have no choice!  If they want the course they
> must have a copy of the text book.  I, OTOH, have a choice and the price
>   doesn't fit my budget!  I would have paid $35 or $40 to see what he
> had to say.

And his students can probably get it autographed.  I'll have to check, but I
think you'd get more Geek Points for an autographed NTP tome vs. Calculus.  But
is it more than a doubly autographed, first edition, K&R?

So Prof. Mills, when are the book signings?

-Jed