[ntp:questions] Re: Secure W32Time

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Mon Mar 20 11:32:17 UTC 2006

Prenard wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Is their a possibility in Windows XP or 2003 to make a secure
> connection to one of the public pool time servers?
> If a secure connection to my Windows and to the a public server is
> possible, what kind of authentication method should i configure on my
> 2003 server? Windows can communicate with different security methods:
> - Ecryption and integrity
> - Integrity only
> - Custom: AH and/or ESP (ntegrity with SHA1 or MD5 and Encryption
> algorithm with 3DES or DES)
>
> I want to pay more attention on the security leaks from my server to
> the public connection.
>
> Thank you to help me!
>
> Patrice

Patrice,

I think it unlikely you will be able to use W32Time to make a secure NTP
connection, but you might want to check out the security options in NTP.
There is a Windows port of NTP here:

  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

I'm not sure if any of the pool servers will support a "secure"
connection, though, and perhaps someone can tell us?

People also tend to run NTP on Firewalls or DMZ servers to provide
security isolation.

David