[ntp:questions] Re: Secure W32Time

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Mon Mar 20 20:33:18 UTC 2006

malayter at gmail.com wrote:
> According to:
> http://tinyurl.com/ft435
>  and
> http://tinyurl.com/fh8uz
>
> In Windows 2003 SP1 and later, a full NTPv3 implementation with NTPv4
> algoritmic enhancements is used. Windows Time Service is apparently no
> longer just SNTP, at least on the servier side.
[]
> Incidentally, I recently configured a Windows 2003 SP1 server with the
> same time sources as I use for ntpd, and set up monitoring. It seems
> to maintain accuracy within a couple of milliseconds relative to my
> NTP v4 box after a few hours. This surprises me. Perhaps Windows 2003
> SP1 finally provides "real" NTP. I am planning on a more thorough
> test of Windows 2003's Time Service soon. I don't have a local
> refclock, so I will probably be doing a long term test comparing ntpd
> and Windows Time using the same set of Stratum-1 servers.

So a mixture of bad news and good news!  I'm pleased if they are now using
"proper  NTP".  I don't use athentication myself, so I can't comment
further.

Thanks for the information, though.

If (like me) you don't care for tinyURLs without the true links:

  http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/71e76587-28f4-4272-a3d7-7f44ca50c0181033.mspx

  http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/b43a025f-cce2-4c82-b3ea-3b95d482db3a1033.mspx

David