[ntp:questions] How to determine Stratum?

Brad bradhambleton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 23:43:54 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am experiencing an odd situation on a Windows 2000 AD domain.

I have two sites. The PDC emulator is in site 1 which is configured as
the domain's NTP server. However, each member server in both sites is
pointing to a DC in site 2 for its time information. Have tried
everything to resolve, all with no avail.

I want both sites to point to the PDC emulator in site 1 for ntp.

Is there a way to determine and set the stratum value of a server? This
seems to be the culprit to my time synching issues.

According to KB 216734, the following is how Windows servers acquire
time.

By default, Windows-based computers use the following hierarchy:
· All client desktop computers nominate the authenticating domain
controller as their in-bound time partner.
· All member servers follow the same process as client desktop
computers.
· Domain controllers may nominate the primary domain controller (PDC)
operations master as their in-bound time partner but may use a parent
domain controller based on stratum numbering.
· All PDC operations masters follow the hierarchy of domains in the
selection of their in-bound time partner.

Thanks