[ntp:questions] Re: How to determine Stratum?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 23:58:17 UTC 2006

In article <1142898234.785513.120620 at v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
Brad <bradhambleton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject: How to determine Stratum?

Except for machines connected to reference clocks, stratum is always one
greater than that of the currently selected, immediate upstream server,
however....

> I have two sites. The PDC emulator is in site 1 which is configured as
> the domain's NTP server. However, each member server in both sites is

With the possible exception of Windows 2003's latest service pack,
Microsoft do not supply NTP servers.  They supply broken SNTP servers.
One of the bugs in their SNTP server implementation is (or at least was)
that all servers claim to be at stratum 2, no matter what the upstream
stratum is.

I am fairly sure that W32Time has no reference clock support and no
means of knowing that the local clock is being disciplined by other
software.

Assuming you have already tried set time/sntp..., any restriction on the
choice of upstream server is likely to be the result of either commercial
policies (e.g. to prevent your using a less expensive version of Windows
than the Microsoft standard architecture expects) or dumbing down (to
make the system look easy to use by removing any options that might
cause difficult choices for installers or users).