[ntp:questions] Re: How to determine Stratum?

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid
Tue Mar 21 14:06:28 UTC 2006

On 20 Mar 2006 15:43:54 -0800 in comp.protocols.time.ntp, "Brad"
<bradhambleton at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am experiencing an odd situation on a Windows 2000 AD domain.
>
>I have two sites. The PDC emulator is in site 1 which is configured as
>the domain's NTP server. However, each member server in both sites is
>pointing to a DC in site 2 for its time information. Have tried
>everything to resolve, all with no avail.
>
>I want both sites to point to the PDC emulator in site 1 for ntp.
>
>Is there a way to determine and set the stratum value of a server? This
>seems to be the culprit to my time synching issues.
>
>According to KB 216734, the following is how Windows servers acquire
>time.
>
>By default, Windows-based computers use the following hierarchy:
>· All client desktop computers nominate the authenticating domain
>controller as their in-bound time partner.
>· All member servers follow the same process as client desktop
>computers.
>· Domain controllers may nominate the primary domain controller (PDC)
>operations master as their in-bound time partner but may use a parent
>domain controller based on stratum numbering.
>· All PDC operations masters follow the hierarchy of domains in the
>selection of their in-bound time partner.
>
>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Check the MS KB for your platform:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q216734
It appears to me from other MS docs that MS scores time servers and
may prefer local over reliable (NTP).

--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis 	Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Brian.Inglis at CSi.com 	(Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address		use address above to reply