[ntp:questions] Re: ntpq -p -n times out

Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~ crichmon at filc8046.fm.intel.com
Thu Mar 23 17:39:07 UTC 2006

In article <44221BD0.9070205 at ntp.isc.org>,
 mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:
>> You'll see 'Connection Refused' even if ntpd isn't running.
>Technically, you'll get Connection Refused if nothing is listening on
>that particular address/port. One reason may be that ntpd is not running.

Originally, ntp wasn't running.  That generated the Connection Refused
messages.  Duh.

>> Have you grepped the process tree to see if ntpd is really running?

After fixing some obscure options file, yes, its running.

>>> The config file is pretty basic, but that's where I'll check first.
>>> If there's no authentication stuff enabled, what else would restrict
>>> access?
>> Check for lines starting with 'restrict' and look for 'noquery'.

That was the problem.  I'm assuming there was some leftover restrict
garbage from the RH install version.  Once removed it all works.
There is one odd meesage in the log about "ntpd may be using an outdated
ADJTMEX something or other".  It only shows up around startup.

>That won't give you a "Connection Refused" message. It just won't
>respond and the client will time out.

Confirmed and corrected.  Now I have to figure out how to config
a GPS ref_clock.  Running latest 2.4.32 kernel with PPS Kit installed.

Thx, Chris
--
 Chris Richmond         | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa