[ntp:questions] Re: 4.2.1-RC

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Fri Mar 24 21:15:42 UTC 2006

>> If you want a bug to get fixed, it really really helps to make
>> sure there is a bug report on it.

>> Do they teach that in school these days?

>I assume your posting isn't intended to be as offensive as it comes across
>to me, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt this time.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a wise-ass and I wasn't picking on
anybody in particular.  I meant to say something supportive a few
days ago when Harlan encouraged bug reports.

I was well trained on submitting bug reports back in 1976.  It was
part of the culture of the group I worked with.
  "No bug report, no problem."
You don't have to hear that very often before it sinks in.

Was the "Do they teach that in school these days?" the offensive part?
(I can see how it might be.)  It was actually a serious question.
Bug reports aren't very important until you have a project with
many contributors and/or a time scale beyond a semester.

Do schools cover project management or release engineering these
days?  Can I assume that most people know that "Bugs are good."
(aka praise the messenger)  Is there a good URL that I should
reference in discussions like this?