[ntp:questions] Re: 4.2.1-RC

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Fri Mar 24 21:24:25 UTC 2006

Hal Murray wrote:
>>> If you want a bug to get fixed, it really really helps to make
>>> sure there is a bug report on it.
>
>>> Do they teach that in school these days?
>
>> I assume your posting isn't intended to be as offensive as it comes
>> across to me, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt this time.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a wise-ass and I wasn't picking on
> anybody in particular.  I meant to say something supportive a few
> days ago when Harlan encouraged bug reports.
>
> I was well trained on submitting bug reports back in 1976.  It was
> part of the culture of the group I worked with.
>  "No bug report, no problem."
> You don't have to hear that very often before it sinks in.
>

> Was the "Do they teach that in school these days?" the offensive part?
> (I can see how it might be.)  It was actually a serious question.
> Bug reports aren't very important until you have a project with
> many contributors and/or a time scale beyond a semester.
>
> Do schools cover project management or release engineering these
> days?  Can I assume that most people know that "Bugs are good."
> (aka praise the messenger)  Is there a good URL that I should
> reference in discussions like this?

Hal,

Thanks for your response.  As I know you as a reasonable person, I didn't
think any offence was meant.

When you talk about "school", are you meaning in Computer Science or
Engineering departments?  I am removed in both space and time from a
university enviroment.

I recall a culture where bug reports were rewarded with a pint of beer (or
whatever!).

David