[ntp:questions] Re: 4.2.1-RC

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sat Mar 25 21:46:35 UTC 2006

>>> In article <e049r7$e0s$1 at canard.ulcc.ac.uk>, Ronan Flood <ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk> writes:

> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
>> On 2006-03-24, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
>>
>>> We already have patched tarball snapshots - what do you see as the
>>> benefit of an RC2?
>>
>> A formal declaration that all bugs have been fixed and that _this_ is the
>> version you wish to release.

Ronan> Yeah, that's what I had in mind.  If no one finds issues with it
Ronan> within some defined time, it becomes 4.2.1 and is announced.

OK, so y'all want there to be an RC release that is identical to the
released version?

I can do that, and:

- there were not that many changes between RC1 and today's tarball snapshot

- when we release 4.2.1 it will become ntp-stable and we already have
  tarball snapshots of onging changes to both ntp-stable and ntp-dev

Perhaps I'm seeing this from a different angle or perhaps I'm missing
something.

How about I get rid of the '1' in RC1 and I just release 4.2.1 when
"sufficient" time has passed since the last change?

If so, I'm inclined to say "let's treat the '1' in 'RC1' as silent for this
release" and go with this approach for future release candidates?