[ntp:questions] Re: exporting NTP from the US

alan.kiecker alan.kiecker at unisys.com
Tue Mar 28 14:48:15 UTC 2006

Thanks, Harlan.

We are planning on using the NTP package that Meinberg has available
for Windows.  Many of our customers isolate their private networks from
the Internet making it difficult for them to download the package so we
are planning on making it available to them on our own release media.
This in effect would make us an exporter, and consequently my
questions.

The package as downloaded from Meinberg includes both the SSLeay32.dll
and libeay32.dll libraries.  The following FAQ

http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/ssleay/ssleay-legal-faq.html

mentions some ITAR issues concerning SSL but does not really go into
details.  I am assuming that these two libraries, which are used by
NTP, contain the encryption algorithms that are of concern.  Since the
API of these libraries is well documented on the Internet, anyone would
be able to make use of the encryption algorithms once they have the
libraries.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-- al