[ntp:questions] Re: exporting NTP from the US

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Mar 28 21:12:15 UTC 2006

Alan,

alan.kiecker wrote:
> Thanks, Harlan.
>
> We are planning on using the NTP package that Meinberg has available
> for Windows.  Many of our customers isolate their private networks from
> the Internet making it difficult for them to download the package so we
> are planning on making it available to them on our own release media.
> This in effect would make us an exporter, and consequently my
> questions.
>
> The package as downloaded from Meinberg includes both the SSLeay32.dll
> and libeay32.dll libraries.  The following FAQ
>
> http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/ssleay/ssleay-legal-faq.html
>
> mentions some ITAR issues concerning SSL but does not really go into
> details.  I am assuming that these two libraries, which are used by
> NTP, contain the encryption algorithms that are of concern.  Since the
> API of these libraries is well documented on the Internet, anyone would
> be able to make use of the encryption algorithms once they have the
> libraries.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Not only the API of those DLLs is available on the internet, the complete
source code from which the libraries can be built are freely available.

Our sales people have tried to find out whether there are export
restrictions which should apply to the OpenSSL libs, and as far as I know
there were no restrictions that could have been appled since the source
code is available freely anyway. It's also my opinion that this would not
make much sense.

However, you should double check that with regard to your government's laws.

Concerning the distribution of the GUI installer: NTP is available under the
NTP copyright, and also the installer kit is free software. Meinberg has
just put it together as a contribution to the community, so you can
distribute it as you like.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki