[ntp:questions] Re: gps; why pps?

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Mar 29 03:04:11 UTC 2006

"Folkert van Heusden" <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote in message
news:20060328155232.GP26463 at vanheusden.com...

> Could someone please explain me why you want to only use the PPS signal
> of a GPS receiver and not the time indication?

    You need the time indication to figure out which second boundary the PPS
signal is referring to. But once you are accurate to much less than half a
second, the PPS is far more accurate than a time indication sent over RS232.
This is especially true with GPS receivers that don't specify the
relationship between the RS232 time output and the UTC second boundary, and
most don't.

    DS