[ntp:questions] Non-receiver refclock advice

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 29 17:27:54 UTC 2006

Folks,

we run stratum-1 servers with GPS and MSF refclocks, providing NTP
service over the wide area to the UK academic community.  Owing to
upcoming network reorganisation it might be necessary or at least
convenient to move one or more of the servers into facilities where
installing an antenna will not be possible.  Therefore we need to
consider non-broadcast refclocks, which presumably means stable PPS
oscillators of some sort using an off-site preferred server to
number the seconds.

Cost will be a factor as I don't know how far the budget will
stretch; and I think short-term stability is probably more important
than long-term drift -- which I imagine can be compensated for by
altering the fudge occasionally -- so a rubidium unit might be better
as well as cheaper than caesium or whatever.

The servers use their serial ports so we'd need the on-time signal
delivered at RS232 level, preferrably rising-edge, and for maximum
convenience would like to avoid DIY electronics ...

Any recommendations or suggestions?

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for