[ntp:questions] Re: NTP client on Windows platform provides lessaccurate results then on the UNIX or Linux. Why?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Thu Mar 30 10:00:55 UTC 2006

Karel Sandler wrote:
> "Mayzel, Ilya" <ilya.mayzel at gs.com> wrote in message
>
>> Does anyone have an experience running NTP v4.2.0 client on Windows
>> and what time accuracy should I expect?
>
> I'm using  ntp-4.2.0b at 1.1436mbg-xmas-o-win32 from Meinberg on a W2k3
> system. Some stats an offset distribution for this system you can see
> at http://lx.ujf.cas.cz/mrtg/ntp/. My early experience with ntpd on a
> windows systems was rather bad but this version of ntpd I consider
> good.
> Karel Sandler

Karel,

  http://lx.ujf.cas.cz/ntp-lx/lx-off.html

shows a series of one millisecond steps at about roughly 1 hour intervals.
Any idea why?

(My systems may do this as well, but my plots are only one tenth of the
resolution of yours, I allow for +/- 100ms which was perhaps more
appropriate when I relied on Internet ntp sources).

The Meinberg version is good on Windows as it adds the option to run with
the multi-media timers permanently enabled, ensuring much better
timekeeping.

Cheers,
David