[ntp:questions] times are not matching up

none dreamon at nospam-noway.com
Thu May 4 16:44:08 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am trying to synchronize a network of linux machines that sits on a local
lan. I have one bridge machine that has access to an external computer which
has a GPS (I think) based NTP server running on it. If I run ntpdate by hand
it always says it has an offset of a couple hundred microseconds. All the
local machines sync using ntpd to the bridge machine. When I run ntpdate on
them manually I see offsets of about 50 microseconds. Given the numbers
above it would seem like all the clocks should be almost exactly the same
but when I do a 'date' on the bridge machine and one of the local lan
machines the time is always different by about 7-8 seconds. Am I
misunderstanding something or doing something wrong here ? I would expect
the date to come up with a second of each other if they are synced
correctly...

thx