[ntp:questions] Re: ntp accuracy with radio clocks

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Fri May 5 10:50:42 UTC 2006

Mauro Fiacco wrote:
> Hello to All,
>
> I was wondering what accuracy can be achieved with radio clocks (I live
> in UK, so I would use the Rugby MSF transmission at 60KHz)
>
> I understand that issues like calibration for radio propagation may be
> required, but I was wondering about your experience with radio clocks.

The propagation delay can change by up to a few ms between day & night,
depending upon how far away from Rugby you're based.

I believe some of the better sw-based audio card decoders can achieve
sub-ms precision.

> I am also interested about stability of the offset (for my application
> is more important than absolute accuracy)

See above, I would expect ms-level variability unless you have a
dependable propagation path.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>