[ntp:questions] Re: netdate statements

Johan Swenker no_spam_please at swenker.xs4all.nl
Sun May 7 22:40:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 06 May 2006 13:53:07 +0000, Ted Gervais wrote:

> Wondering what I should use as a netdate statement to be run at the time of
> reboot or when the system fails and has to be rebooted.
> I recently had my system do a reboot for no apparent reason  while I was
> away for a couple of weeks and when it came up it was an hour or so off the

Sounds to me like a day light saving time error. Does your hardware clock
run UTC or localtime?

What OS are you using. On a unix-like system, please run the hardware on
UTC. That solves unpredictabilities like these.

> correct time.  The result was my important application(s) that depended on
> the correct time sat blinking at the sky for nearly two weeks until I
> returned..??

When your applications are sufficiently important and when correct time is
sufficiently important as well, you should synchronise your computer with
ntpd.

> Sorry about the story but just had to report that, since I am still
> frustrated by my time being out in left field..
>
> Right now I am planning on using a netdate statement such as the following:
>
> 'netdate -l 30 tcp time.nist.gov  localhost'
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better arrangement for this
> netdate statement?  Any input would be appreciated..

This netdate statement is not a good idea. I just the examples in the
manual page for netdate. They suggest that your command will only
change the time when time.nist.gov and localhost agree within 30
seconds. The case you try to solve, the difference was about an hour
or so. Thus this netdate is not the solution to your problem.

Normally ntpd won't start^Xcontinuen when the time difference is to large.
Thus use the -g parameter on ntpd. You might add the burst-option to one
of the server lines in the ntpd configuration file.

Regards, Johan Swenker