[ntp:questions] Re: netdate statements

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon May 8 01:22:33 UTC 2006

Ted Gervais wrote:
> Wondering what I should use as a netdate statement to be run at the time
> of reboot or when the system fails and has to be rebooted.
> I recently had my system do a reboot for no apparent reason  while I was
> away for a couple of weeks and when it came up it was an hour or so off
> the correct time.  The result was my important application(s) that
> depended on the correct time sat blinking at the sky for nearly two
> weeks until I returned..??
>
> Sorry about the story but just had to report that, since I am still
> frustrated by my time being out in left field..
>
> Right now I am planning on using a netdate statement such as the following:
>
> 'netdate -l 30 tcp time.nist.gov  localhost'
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better arrangement for this
> netdate statement?  Any input would be appreciated..
>

> ---
> Ted Gervais,
> Coldbrook, Nova Scotia, Canada

Since "netdate" is not, AFAIK, a part of the NTP software distribution,
I don't think we can help you with it.  It doesn't appear to be a part
of Solaris.  I'm too lazy to boot my Linux box to see if it's part of Linux.

You might try downloading the current production version of ntpd,
building it for your system, configuring it, and starting it with the -g
option.  That should set the correct time and then keep your system
synchronized with your selected servers.  With four good internet NTP
servers configured, ntpd should be able to keep your system within +- 10
milliseconds of the correct time.  The accuracy you can achieve is
limited mainly by the accuracy and stability of the time sources you
use.  I keep a Sun Solaris (SPARC) box within 1 or 2 microseconds using
ntpd and a relatively inexpensive GPS timing receiver.  Your mileage may
vary. . . .