[ntp:questions] Re: netdate statements

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon May 8 01:35:28 UTC 2006

Johan Swenker wrote:

> On Sat, 06 May 2006 13:53:07 +0000, Ted Gervais wrote:
>

>>Wondering what I should use as a netdate statement to be run at the time of
>>reboot or when the system fails and has to be rebooted.
>>I recently had my system do a reboot for no apparent reason  while I was
>>away for a couple of weeks and when it came up it was an hour or so off the
<snip>
> Normally ntpd won't start^Xcontinuen when the time difference is to large.
> Thus use the -g parameter on ntpd. You might add the burst-option to one
> of the server lines in the ntpd configuration file.
>
> Regards, Johan Swenker

I hope you meant "iburst" rather than "burst".   Burst mode is not a
nice thing to use except in very special circumstance.  Burst causes
your system to send eight requests two seconds apart at every poll
interval.  This places eight times the normal load on the server which
is almost never justifiable!!!!

iburst, OTOH, sends eight requests at two second intervals when it
initializes!   After the initial burst, ntpd will poll at the normal 64
to 1024 second intervals.