[ntp:questions] Re: tos orphan and poll frequencies

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon May 8 04:07:56 UTC 2006

Roger,

It was the intent to let the poll intervals stabilize in the ordinary
way; which means the poll interval follows the clock discipline time
constant. That could be different in different machines and the actual
poll intervals may depend on the subnet topology.

My test configuration is two primary servers and two secondary servers
chiming goth of them in client/server mode and with each other in
symmetric active mode. The secondary servers are on an Ethernet, each
operating as both broadcast server and broadcast client. Three other
machines are on the Ethernet, each operating as both broadcast server
and client. All except the primary servers hav tos orphan 5.

Bring it up in the ordinary way and pull the plug at the primary
servers. Watch the fun. Reconnect the primary servers and verify things
return to normal.

Dave