[ntp:questions] Re: Solairs 8 xntpd client oscillates

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Mon May 8 14:56:50 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> Sun's xntpd is about ten years behind the times.  Download the current
> production version of the NTP distribution from
> http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads

I tried to avoid that because it would place ntpd outside the normal patch
process. Therefore I googled before I posted and checked if I could find known
problems with Sun's xntpd. I didn't found any mentioning of an oscillation problem.

It was just mentioned that Solaris 8 always slews the clock and "disable pll"
was recommended. (That did not help, as mentioned.) As far as I understand, the
behaviour at my system might be due to a too large frequency error. Would the
update to a current ntp version really help in that case?

Cheers,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org
Roedermark, Germany