[ntp:questions] Re: ntp.drift contains 9 x 0x00 bytes, and ntp.drift.TEMP is present?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue May 9 13:42:46 UTC 2006

Hi David,

David J Taylor wrote:
> I needed to reboot my Windows XP Pro PC the other day, and I now note that
> after restart, the ntp.drift file contained 9 bytes of zero, and there was
> an ntp.drift.TEMP file containing "-17.757", which is about the expected
> value.  Any idea what might cause ntp to use an alternate drift file, and
> will it save the correct drift value across the next restart?
>
> This is with the Meinberg V4.2.0b at 1.1436 build.

ntpd first writes the ntp.drift.TEMP file, then it deletes a previously
existing drift file and renams the .TEMP file.

This does not seem to be successful in your environment. I assume the
account under which ntpd is running does not have sufficient rights in the
directory where the ntp.drift file shall be located. There should be
associated entries in the event log.

To fix this you must either grant sufficient rights to the ntp account, or
you must specify a drift file in  a directory where that account has
sufficient rights.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki