[ntp:questions] Re: New to NTPD

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue May 9 17:04:38 UTC 2006

Ted Gervais wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2006, Heiko Gerstung wrote:
>
>> Hi, Ted:
>>
>> Ted Gervais wrote:
>>
>>> Well I finally am moving away from netdate and have ntpd installed and
>>> running.
>>> I brought it up using ntpd -g,  and hope that is ok.
>>>
>>> Also I have no idea that it is doing anthing?   How do I know that it is
>>> running.
>>> The drift file has only one entry in it, and that is all zeros..
>>>
>>> Is there some way that I can watch what is happening like the way I
>>> watch
>>> log files using 'tail -f messages'  ??
>>>
>>> I have all the logfile stuff turned on so I can read any and all
>>> stuff that
>>> is happening and  yet while that says a few things I at this point don't
>>> know that it is doing anything with the system time.
>>>
>>> I am running linux (slackware 10.2)..
>>

>> Maybe you can try it with "ntpq -p" which shows you all configured time
>> references (the "server" or "peer" lines in /etc/ntp.conf). If you want,
>> you can run it periodically : "watch -n 1 ntpq -p"
>

> OK on the 'watch' line. Here is what that gives me"
>
> Every 1.0s: ntpq -p                                     Tue May  9
> 12:39:45 2006
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
>
> *LOCAL(0)        73.78.73.84      5 l   58   64  377    0.000    0.000
> 0.001
>  time-b.nist.gov .RSTR.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
> 4000.00
>  time-b.nist.gov .RSTR.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
> 4000.00
>  time-A.timefreq .RSTR.          16 u    -   64    0    0.000    0.000
> 4000.00
>  time.nist.gov   .RSTR.          16 u    -  128    0    0.000    0.000
> 4000.00

The .RSTR. in the refid field suggests that you are having a problem
with restrict statements.   Your selection of servers is also a little
strange.  time-b.nist.gov appears twice; it probably should not appear
at all.  The stratum 1 servers should not be used unless your system
will be serving time to at least 100 other systems!  The stratum 1
servers are usually loaded or overloaded to within a hair of the
breaking point!   See: http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome for a
list of publicly available stratum 2 servers.  Please also read the
"rules of engagement"