[ntp:questions] Re: New to NTPD

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue May 9 20:44:39 UTC 2006

In article <wLWdnbhvv8g6Vv3ZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d at comcast.com>,
Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ted Gervais wrote:

> > *LOCAL(0)        73.78.73.84      5 l   58   64  377    0.000    0.000
> > 0.001

> with restrict statements.   Your selection of servers is also a little
> strange.  time-b.nist.gov appears twice; it probably should not appear
> at all.  The stratum 1 servers should not be used unless your system

The LOCAL line probably shouldn't appear either, as your system appears to be
a leaf node.  Unless you can explain why you have chosen stratum 5 for it
(hint stratum 10 is the usually suggested value when it is useful), you
should definitely delete the local clock from the configuration.

The local clock driver is only useful on servers, and, even then, not
always - I doubt if any of the public stratum 1 or 2 servers have it
configured.