[ntp:questions] Re: Problems with the Timezone

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed May 10 17:43:40 UTC 2006

Marvin Garcia wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to configure some Solaris Server to your NTP Pool
> Time Server and I think it is working fine, but the problem is with the
> Timezone. My timezone is GMT-4, but when I configured the servers they
> change the time, and then I had to change the GMT-4 to GMT+4 in order
> they reflect the correct time.
>
> The servers I'm using are:
>
> server 0.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.pool.ntp.org
> server pool.ntp.org
>
> Do you think is there something I could do to solve this problem?
>

> Thanks for your help,

NTP does not deal with local time at all.  It's UTC all the way.

The display of local time is up to your operating system.   You say your
time zone is GMT-4, do you mean that you are on Eastern Daylight Time?
GMT+4 puts you four hours east of Greenwich.

Try saying "echo $TZ".  What response do you get?

Say "date -u".  What response do you get?

Say "date".  What response?