[ntp:questions] Re: Problems with the Timezone

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed May 10 18:34:52 UTC 2006

Marvin Garcia wrote:

> # echo $TZ
> GMT-4
>
> # date -u
> Wed May 10 18:24:36 GMT 2006
>
> # date
> Wed May 10 14:25:00 EDT 2006

All right.  What were you complaining about again?  I thought you said
earlier that GMT-4 was adding four hours instead of subtracting.

And let's really get down to the basics.  Where are you located?  If you
are in the eastern United States, GMT-4 will probably not do the right
thing when we switch back to standard time next October.

I run Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 systems in New Jersey and my TZ
environment variable is set to "US/Eastern".  I've never had a problem
with it.  The naming seems quite clear.